Hi! i'm just an ordinary christian dude who has passion in Architecture, Environmental sustainability, and Travelling Photography. Also hitting on events especially Conferences and having personal stands and philosophy in this blog. Currently 2nd year Bachelor in Architecture USM Penang, Malaysia. All opinions here are just 2 sens of mine and not in any offensive means. You could follow me at Facebook or Twitter =) Welcome and have a nice day ahead! God Bless.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

[2/6/2010] How DSLR has changed me, My walk into the Photography World.

Greetings from Shanghai =)


Yes it is, Happy Anniversary Nikon D5000.

The Rise of the Gears
  1. Bought D5000 24/6/2009, at Tarita Sg Wang Plaza. RM3000 for D5000 + extended warranty of 3 years, and also a Sigma telemacro 70-300mm lens with RM900 add on 
  2. A RM180 Tripod, Victory 3001B Aluminium Tripod and Ball Head.
  3. A Nissin Di622 Flash for RM430 
  4. 2 SD 8Gb Panasonic Class 4 Cards for RM150. 
  5. New Elastic Strap for RM50.
  6. New third party bag for RM50.
  7. A Ultra Wide  Angle Conversion RM280
  8. WISH to have another spare battery
And that's it, it is a full package of what i want.

How a DSLR has changed my life aka My Photography evolution

I remember there was once, someone told me
"Think twice before you buy a DSLR, don't spoil it's uniqueness and branding" 


And now i would be glad to say the same thing to others. Especially these years Canon have been marketing their DSLRs so strong and you see more & more people just buy them, but truly only some could understand what are DSLRs are about. I bought a DSLR initially for Architecture Purpose. True it was, it was needed to take good detail pictures for reporting and reference purpose.

But things changed when i step into USM, i started to bring my DSLR everywhere because it was so precious & i did not want to put in the room, so i went to shoot a lot of random stuffs, and yes, i landed on events. I started shooting since Orientation week then. And as soon as someone approach me for pictures, and then merging the idea of how Facebook works, i got a second thought of a DSLR owner, it is called Networking.

So yes i started to shoot with events, and i do not mean professional. But more like a leisure shoot around and upload to facebook and the taggings bring in new contacts. As months passed by, i became a constant event photographer, and on second semester, i got requests to shoot for events, and yes no charge, because i am still a newbie i consider.

For the first 2 months, i used Auto & have been exploring around with the water surface of DSLR and played more on composition. Then i realized i had to move on, so from then, i used Manual everytime. I really do bring my DSLR everywhere, it is like the best gameboy i ever had, exposure, brakettings, ISOs, Metering, white balance, shutter. Ask anyone who have met me before =) I am either with my laptop, or DSLR, or both!

My last wish would be asking Nikon to help me add in a MP3 player &GPS navigator to my baby! =D

What Fields again?
Yea at first i was into Architecture, and yes it will always remain because i am an Architecture student. But i went into Portraits, Events. & Sometimes products with my telemacro lens. I am more towards Conceptual photography actually, will set up my portfolio as soon as possible =) People could venture into HDR and have special effects but i just want to be simple, take direct easy pictures that could tell the message.

Why I love D5000 so much?
Yes, If you throw me any better DSLRs, i would still choose D5000. Reason is simple, because i do not have a need to have D90 or D300 or anything because i know i will not even utilize the best of D5000 and other beginner DSLRs in the next 5 years. For me there is nothing much difference between DSLRs, it is not meant for a competition, it is just how you bring up your knowledge together with your camera that's all. 

The only D5000 lacking off, in my preference, is the auto focus motor, so yea i could not use the 50mm auto focus. But other than that, I love it because it is light, and the tilt screen. yes the tilt screen really help much. It is more than helping you to spot dynamic angles which normally a human eye level would not reach, But in my case, i like it because it has lead me into VIDEOGRAPHY. And now you will be telling me about canon 550D? Ya right, i do not need a HD, kill my memory instead.

Not everything bigger or more in DSLRs means could offer more to you unless you understand the purpose of it.
I like the layout buttons for Nikon generally, really makes it fast and more finger friendly. And Canons do not have Line Grid while Nikons have =) Canon is over branded and market, people will ask why Nikon is not having a good publicity compared to Canon's Marketing, simply because it remains exclusive =) Professionals know it. Don't mind the critics!

The Photographer's say
I do not really intend to take photography a serious thing to deal with. Reasons why now i deal with photography again is because pictures inspire me, perhaps the very detailed mind of mine and the creative and thinker side of me would really inspire me to get a message each picture.
I am not on the race to compete who has the better picture, every time when i press the shutter i just know that i have captured a memory and also marked an inspiration from there. It is because when i do powerpoint presentation i love to have my own pictures because it is an ownership feeling =)

The powerful thing i love about Photography is
"The pictures you take, could change the world, without a sound"
Yea conceptual photography... did a slide for AIESEC Election before =)


Yes we do!